The War is Over

We may look back at President Obama’s speech yesterday declaring a shift in counter-terrorism strategy, as one of the most important addresses of the last 20 years.

For over the last decade, our nation has spent well over a trillion dollars on war, helping to explode our deficits and constraining our ability to nation-build here at home. Our service members and their families have sacrificed far more on our behalf.

Nearly 7,000 Americans have made the ultimate sacrifice. Many more have left a part of themselves on the battlefield or brought the shadows of battle back home. From our use of drones to the detention of terrorist suspects, the decisions we are making will define the type of nation and world that we leave to our children.

So America is at a crossroads. We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. We have to be mindful of James Madison’s warning that no nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.

It has been the contention of this writer that American renewal cannot begin until “The Long War” ends. Part of the problem is the President’s realization how right Madison really was.

Meanwhile, we strengthened our defenses, hardening targets, tightening transportation security, giving law enforcement new tools to prevent terror. Most of these changes were sound. Some caused inconvenience. But some, like expanded surveillance, raised difficult questions about the balance that we strike between our interests in security and our values of privacy. And in some cases, I believe we compromised our basic values — by using torture to interrogate our enemies, and detaining individuals in a way that ran counter to the rule of law.

So a good start in restoring Democracy will be to change the Administration’s policy on Press Freedom.

President Obama ordered a review on Thursday of the Justice Department’s procedures for legal investigations involving reporters, acknowledging that he was “troubled” that multiple inquiries into national security leaks could chill investigative reporting.

But the much bigger task will be to rethink the whole National Security State that has grown exponentially since 9/11. So while I agree with Obama that, “we must define our effort not as a boundless global war on terror but rather as a series of persistent, targeted efforts to dismantle specific networks of violent extremists that threaten America”, that does not mean we need the massive  domestic counter-terrorism industrial complex that has gorged itself on the public treasury with little to show for it as the Washington Post pointed out in their breakthrough “Top Secret America”.

We have a long way to go before we can really begin America 3.0–the renewal project I have been talking about since the eve of the 2008 market crash. Obama’s speech yesterday was a start down that road. Let us not underestimate the forces that profit from being in a perpetual state of war. Senator Saxby Chamblis spoke for them yesterday.

Some Republicans expressed alarm about Mr. Obama’s shift, saying it was a mistake to go back to the days when terrorism was seen as a manageable law enforcement problem rather than a dire threat.

“The president’s speech today will be viewed by terrorists as a victory,” said Senator Saxby Chambliss of Georgia, the top Republican on the Senate Intelligence Committee. “Rather than continuing successful counterterrorism activities, we are changing course with no clear operational benefit.”

I have been feeling that Washington is just some sort of reality show, in which everyone–politicians, press and lobbyists are playing their role according to a script. But this fight over the end of the Global War on Terror is actually important to those of us who believe power and taxes must be handed over to the states and cities. Ultimately the whole Federal establishment will get smaller. Congressional Staffs, Federal Bureaucracies and most importantly the Pentagon and Homeland Security will shrink. The DC property bubble will burst and Lobbyists will be less important. How long Saxby Chambliss and his forces can fight a rear guard effort against the inevitable is probably the most important story of the next 12 months.

This entry was posted in Barack Obama, Interregnum, Politics and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to The War is Over

1. Hugo St. Victor says:

Neither of those men, on his way Out, speaks for anyone but himself. Neither leads except into selfish pinched oblivion. It would be nice we’re Obama to do so, while he still holds the capacity,but alas he retrenches against himself and it would be rude to point out how this speech is a poor apology for all the actions he’s taken, by dint of drone and interrogation, since the last time he bothered with such lip service. Nobody can find the coherence in his foreign policy, much less can he share credit for tenuous U.S. advances abroad. The extent of his exertions heretofore have concentrated on decapitation of the grownups at the table, the Military. Obviously he comforts himself in less competent, civilian appointees. A fearful tendency and trend, as before. He’s the wrong guy for, I agree, the right occasion.

@Hugo St. Victor lets see what he does in the next three months. Then you can judge.

3. Hugo St. Victor says:

That gives me hope. Will do.

4. len says:

Wars end when a side or sides surrender. Otherwise in low or high intensity the conflict continues. It may morph into different forms from covert or guerilla or large scale public, but it goes on because no issues have been resolved.

Be wary of political pronouncements that come down to “mission accomplished”.

The capacity of the recent combatants has been reduced. Their command corps is reduces which fractures their reflex speed, their ability to exercise command, control, communications and intelligence and that reduces the size of their response and their ability to launch given scales of operations. In english, they are down to small scale lone wolf operations and foreign operations at larger scales. Force protection and operations compromise become the concern for counter intelligence operations and assets.

To declare the war over is to make the same mistake as was made by those who declared the end of history with the fall of the soviet infrastructure. It is to fail to notice the metastaszing of formerly concentrated assets and ideologies that spread and mutate. It is to expose the body to them without anticipating the needs for remedial measures. In english, it is to hang our bare asses over the guard rails at nascar and hope like hell the large chunks of metal traveling at high speeds in packs under the control of skilled but overtestosteroned drivers don’t suddenly come apart and drive shards up our asses.

The actions you are about to judge beneath the public posturing concern the disposition and maintenance of the operational and analytical assets that were created to and have successfully reduced the capacity of the enemies to wage war. The policies to be carefully watched and for which transparency is required are the definitions of who these enemies are and what actions they take merit a prejudiced response. Counter intelligence was once confined to the agencies and actions of nation states with identifiable agencies and actions. With the advent of global actions from non nation state agencies this clarity became weaker. With the advent of technologies that focus the responses more tightly, the lack of definition was met with high impact low collateral damage actions such as drone strikes. This does not change the problem of identifying the kinds and types of actions and agencies policy declares as within the rules of engagement. Is a drug lord a terrorist or a criiminal? Is terrorism which is an objective, not an organization, a quality of drug marketing or only if the profits are used to sponsor acts of terror?

These are the challenges of taking down the infrastructure of security to take those funds and plow them back into highways. Jon wants money for his community and he is happy to use any means at his disposal from big data to reputation to achieve that. That is politics and no one should object. But serious governing policy has to consider the scale of actions required and the need to maintain capabilities to carry out the actions. Here serious policy analysts should be examining policies for procurement and the outcomes of ideologically based decision making. For example, is it really better to leave the design and manufacturing of assets required to commercial entities or to maintain government organizations that do not have a profit motive to do that? Do we continue to outsource and recruit technical talent abroad with the real and consequential effects on security of the intellectual property and operational compromises or do we focus on education and strengthening of internal resources?

Don’t let your guard down quite yet if ever. It remains a highly dynamic and volatile environment and the scale of effect of actions under the control of fixed policies is still a serious consideration. Trust but verify.

5. Hugo St. Victor says:

I know, Len. That’s why we prayed for you back in harness. There’s no such thing as “guard down”, there’s only the displacement of the relatively cruel by the relatively kind.

6. Alex Bowles says:

You’re right to say that war in the “traditional” sense ends with a formal surrender. And of course, one of the most persistent criticisms of the War on Terror is that the lack of a formal enemy provides the basis for an endless conflict. But as it turns out, there are other ways in which a distinct end can be reached.

This Telegraph piece shows how changing perceptions can do the same thing—especially when they’re clear and accurate, as opposed to a muddled mess of confusion and fear that was subsequently exploited ruthlessly.

Listen to Olivier Roy, one of Europe’s pre-eminent experts on extremism: “The process of violent radicalisation has little to do with religious practice.” Read the classified briefing note prepared by MI5’s Behavioural Science Unit in June 2008. “Far from being religious zealots, a large number of those involved in terrorism do not practise their faith regularly,” reported The Guardian’s Alan Travis, who obtained a copy of the document. “Very few have been brought up in strongly religious households… there is evidence that a well-established religious identity actually protects against violent radicalisation.

Terrorism has been reduced to a point where it’s most likely to come from people like Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who was far from devout or political. He was just a monstrous asshole. But people like him are remarkably rare. A problem, sure, but not a credible threat to national security. No even remotely.

Personally, I’m more worried about the Tea Party contigent in the House and even moreso, the one in the Senate.

7. len says:

I agree. Policy, practice and not letting technology acquisitions drive policy implementation.

In short, pick your battles. We will have to keep certain assets warm and not make the same mistake of ignoring the analysts who are paid to see the edges from whence our future comes, or blindly following our bad angels out to greet it.

It is instructive to read the biography of Richard Sorge and Agnes Smedley and their “adventures”. Was Hollis the Mole? It’s illuminating to know that while the Thresher and two other incidents are used to explain SUBSAFE and why it is important, the Scorpion is mentioned not once. In the shadows, things collide and professionals on all sides remain quiet lest the accidents of operations become the casus belli.

8. rhbee says:

Fuck why are you even talking about this? By the time any of this crap ends we will all be dead and gone.

9. len says:

Our children won’t be or their children.

10. JTMcPhee says:

rhbee, it never ends, never has and never will until the last few humans are dead and dry:

And as has always been the case, a few in the present generation will try to undo some of the institutionalized corruption and horror, against the enormous power of wealth-transfer-driven and “interest-driven” Juggernautianism. And then some of us will think about “our children,” while some of us are killing other people’s children or figuring out new innovative ways to do so, and some of us will prolong or create new justifications for why the Forever War thing just has to continue to “protect our way of life,” stuff like this fella’s ratiocination, under the headline “Memorial Day’s meaning:”

While in Iraq, my platoon cleared routes, patrolled cities and villages, conducted raids on suspected enemy homes, guarded oil facilities and watched over pharmaceutical distributors. All of these missions were carried out, so we were told, in the defense of freedom. I knew men who were wounded, some severely. I personally knew a few who were killed. I saw men changed permanently. I know I was.

As a young soldier, I began the fight believing in the mission to my very core. We were in Iraq because Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction. After the WMD claims dissolved, I fought to stabilize the region and get rid of the al-Qaida insurgency in Iraq.

Like many other American soldiers and civilians, I was manipulated into believing that Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein were interchangeable enemies, both guilty of the same thing. Each of us had our rationalization for fighting, our own personal excuse for being in the war. When I realized that much of the fighting resulted from our very presence in the country, I clung to my Catholic faith.

Catholicism helped me cope with my involvement in Iraq in different ways. It was a comfort for me, especially during the hard times, and gave me a reason to stay in the fight. I began to fight to convert people to my belief system, and would discuss the differences between Christianity and Islam with my interpreter, an Iraqi national, and any other Iraqi civilian who would listen.

I kept laminated prayer cards, depicting Gabriel, St. Michael, the pope and a crusader’s cross, in my utility pocket. For me, the fight became a holy one, a sort of modern crusade. A myriad of reasons, rationalizations, excuses.

But then I finally admitted the truth to myself. I was fighting so that the United States could ensure its interests in the region whether it was oil, strategic troop placement or finding an additional ally in the Middle East — or a combination of them all. And you might think I became disillusioned. While it is true that I am no longer religious, I did not allow my time overseas to have a negative impact on my life. I have come to terms with my service in Iraq and realized that fighting for economic interests, while not as ennobling as fighting for freedom, actually protects the American way of life in its own fashion. In retrospect, we shouldn’t have gone to Iraq, but once we were there, we had little choice but to complete the mission.

Regardless of how the American public feels about the war in Iraq, maintaining our standard of living sometimes comes at a high cost. War, and other subtler military moves, must be made in order for our nation to remain in contention as a world superpower and maintain the prosperity we have enjoyed for the last century. What makes the difference is how we commemorate the men and women who have died to protect our prosperity…

Sort of explains it, I guess… “It’s for the good of the Syndicate, and everybody has a share.”

And as has ever been the case, for saurians and therapods and now humans, the dear children get persuaded, for shifting reasons, to keep doing the same old shit, to keep the horror alive for other children, and why does it seem that the species collectively is too fucking stupid to keep itself alive, retail but also wholesale?

In the meantime, there is beautiful music, and the kindnesses and affections that some of us feel for others of us, the interstitial occasional manifestations of the Golden Rule, and prayers and lustrations to our various gods…

11. rhbee says:

“What makes the difference is how we commemorate the men and women who have died to protect our prosperity… ” As they say, Christ on a crutch . . .

12. len says:

“In the meantime, there is beautiful music, and the kindnesses and affections that some of us feel for others of us, ”

I’ll take it. My friend married, raised two children, divorced, partied and then at twice the age of her classmates, sold all she had to study in Israel to become a Cantor. Achieving that made her as happy as I’ve seen her since we were 15 and 12 respectively. She became at last what she always wanted to be. Then she sang and taught and prepared boys for their bar mitvahs, and traveled and was glorious. She loved God and she loved me and she loved her family and other friends. She asked me to record Tiny Dancer for her before she left for Israel. She called me from Tel Aviv to tell me she played it for all her half her age classmates, the ones she tutored and nursed through their hangovers, to tell me they loved it. Truth is I think they loved her and whatever she loved was fine. She sent me an email from her hospital in Baltimore to ask for a copy and I sent her a URL and she wrote back and said she was playing it for her nurse and she loved it. Then she a URL of my recording of Cohen’s Hallelujah to every friend and family member she had. And made her parents send me an email telling me they loved it.

When I came home last week to find her message on my phone, I thought it the last time I would hear her say “talk to you later”. A few hours later her daughter and son asked me to sing at her service. So I sang Hallelujah because Tiny Dancer would have been whimsical. I was the only Gentile on as stage with some of the finest cantors in the US and two powerfully speaking rabbis. And it was understood. And it wasn’t out of place. And after my voice cracked in the last verse, I breathed deeply and finished strong. And I walked off stage and wept.

Yesterday I wrote a poem for her and posted it with a photo of us to her Facebook page. In the last 12 hours, dozens of cantors from around the world and one blackjack dealer from Harrah’s sent me thank you notes.

I am a Christian who loves a Jewish woman who has never ever once told me I am second rate. Instead we shared a wonderful joy filled life at various times in all the pleasures afforded creatures of our kind and devotion without a crutch. I’ll take it. Because if this is the reward for simple service, it is worth more than all the fine wines, the awards, the trips to the podiums, the a-list friends, worth more than anything in any bank anywhere. This is to live well, be loved, and to love in return.

So I say, sing. Sing while there is still breath. Too many say they love music when in fact, music loves them. Music loves me. And that is a blessing. That is first rate.

Be well, JT. And as Harry told Jimmy Webb, “Thanks for listening.”

13. Hugo St. Victor says:

Oh exactly, Len! My sentiments exactly, in Atlanta we wish to hell we’d listened closer to Jimmy Webb man.

14. Fentex says:

I think this posts confidence in Obama is misplaced and five years of his abusing his position to attack U.S citizens and undermine the rule of law ought to have disabused you of trust in him.

Obama has always talked the talk but never walked the walk on these issues and it would be surprising if he suddenly about faced.

There is no doubt to grant him benefit off, he has actively crushed trust in his words by deed.

15. Alex Bowles says:

@Fentex What makes you so sure that approving of this speech represents misplaced confidence? My own feelings are captured very well in this post from Gaius Pubius, who manages to see both the positive signal it represents, while remaining suitably distrustful of the messenger.

The salient bit is this:

The choice, as I say, is stark. If we don’t disengage from self-centered hyper-control of the world — if we don’t leave others be — we can never succeed. We’ve reached a tipping point, where an empire of “soft power” will have to decide whether to become an empire of Roman Empire–style hard power (with a homeland of ever-hardened defenses), or back off. Ultimately, this is the question Obama is asking. (And note, the rewards of that empire are not well divided; the barons are taking much more than their share, and openly.)

The speech underplays the devastation of our policies (see Shamsi above) and overplays our self-justification for them (Obama: “this is a just war – a war waged proportionally, in last resort, and in self-defense”). And as Saperstein aptly notes, it completely misunderstands what motivates our combatants. But unless we want to create and sustain a modern “Fortress America” — a land no one but the privileged will want to live in — I think we need to take this speech as a challenge and a way to push back.

In that sense, Saperstein is right. This speech is the first glimmer of recognition by one of Our Betters that “things aren’t right”. Finally.

Do we trust Obama to follow through on his own? Perhaps Greenwald’s “eager-to-believe progressives” do. I sure don’t, and neither do many of those I quoted in this short series.

But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t take this speech as an opening. It’s a fair statement, that the speech “represents his first effort to challenge national security orthodoxy in the United States.” My suggestion is to take that as a challenge ourselves … and press hard.

If there’s one concept to rally around, it’s the idea of blowback (the unintended consequences of a covert operation that are suffered by the civil population of the aggressor government). Put simply, 9/11 was blowback writ large. Responding cost us well over a trillion dollars, a massive loss of prestige, thousands of American lives, a hundred times that in “collateral damage” suffered by wholly uninvolved innocents elsewhere, and mind-boggling damage to civil rights that may take generations to restore.

Aggression is one thing if it’s open and provoked. It’s another thing if it’s instigated quietly, far from the sight of the general public, and kept from view with an increasingly menacing security apparatus. I think the present moment offers the best opportunity we’ve seen in some time to push back against this, and lure some of its proponents into the light.

16. Alex Bowles says:

…where they can be, uh, mocked by Jon Stewart?

Okay okay, that leaves something to be desired. Still, it’s pretty funny.

17. len says:

The choice of Roman style world domination was made by the Bush neocons. It failed. The problem now is the blowback, loss of trust, presitige and around 500 trillion dollars lost. To make it worse, all of the warnings about web ubiquity were ignored and the crown jewels were given up witlessly.

And please don’t anyone say they didn’t know. They didn’t care.

18. JTMcPhee says:

“They didn’t care.” Is the point that there’s this machine that collects huge amounts of Real Wealth and puts it in the hands of people who work from a model that embraces the notion of Global Interoperable Networkcentric Battlespacery (GIONCBS) and really, when you get down to it, there are all these people who worship and sacrifice in the temples of DARPA and suchlike, get their sustenance from it, must give their tacit and even overt loyalty to the System? Which has become not even some kind of nationalist enterprise, but an Interoperable Network of supra- and post-corporate entities and a set of experts in various fields who have most in common with each other, are connected to the nations that generate the wealth that support their fatuous and ultimately suicidal technological exploits, to the point that their tribal loyalties are really given to perpetuating the Forever Conflict that is the rationale of the Great Game that is used to sucker the rest of us into living under the perpetual fear that is only poorly integrated into and given shape via the imagery of the Concerned Scientists and their damn “Doomsday Clock?”

19. Hugo St. Victor says:

Not to insult you but sometimes you write just exactly as I wish to do, and in those instances you scare Hell out of me because I know what you mean.

20. len says:

AKA, NATO and The Standards Committees and the People Who Pay Their Hotel Bills.

Been there. Done that. Got the badges and lanyards. The story of my day gig. But I bloody well-warned them what would happen. Which is why I am a lowly whatever today.

I’m ok. My late love’s sister sent a message today to say she is listening to my nightshift work and feeling better. As I said, I’ll take it. It wasn’t wasted.

21. Hugo St. Victor says:

Whollota nightshift work on your behalf. Lit up the grid out here. Couldn’t get the Word through but Jon knew so I figured you did. Oh my. The bastards are so petty that they actually kept it from you. That’s insanely VENAL

22. Fentex says:

Obama has bloviated about doing the moral thing for as long as he’s had his job with his actions not matching his words for the same time.

23. Alex Bowles says:

@Fentex No argument there. But the point is that it’s possible to separate the speaker and the words, continuing to approve the latter even as the gulf between what is said and done only increases disenchantment with the former.

Again, much of the value here comes down to the consensus that a democratic polity reaches among itself. Getting the “representatives” to actually represent is the second problem, but a more manageable one when consensus is unified against them.

24. len says:

And like it or not, understand it or not, a forward facing posture and an inward facing posture are standard ops. The guy in the seat has a lot more information and a timeline. That is the point for having a chief executive and the reason we don’t have a king. We know they spoil in the seat and have to be refreshed. Much of our political system is geared to that. The problem of the last two decades is the witless and ruthless way the public perception and the media are exploited unprofessionally and immaturely so that fear is feast and we are stampeded to elect people who prove to be less than stellar. As Presidents go in my lifetime, Obama is ok. A paragon is not the person for the job. Practical and self-aware, historically aware and with a deep conviction that the American Way is right for America are notable if there. If not, even moreso,

Don’t drop your guard but don’t shoot at the shadows to scare the pigeons.

25. Alex Bowles says:

Again, no argument there. Especially not when his pick to run the FBI is the guy who approved the warrantless wiretapping program under G.W. Bush.

I mean, FFS.

26. JTMcPhee says:

It would be hard to argue that Obama’s soul is committed to the survival of the species, in any numbers or any recognizable form, based on all the easily available evidence that the PTB know they don’t really even have to try to hide from us any more in the bullshitstorm of “information” and the ascendancy of Libertarian Greed. He’s got “information and a timeline,” all right, and as illuminated by the Moving On Strategies of his various cronies who have done the Big Government Trifecta shows, , not to mention the prequels of his many appointments to high positions in regulatory agencies and the military-security-whatever complex, it seems a fair bet that he will NOT be doing a Harry Truman and driving himself and the family home to Hyde Park for a quiet denouement.

Pigeons may have little tiny claws, useful for hanging on to telephone wires and twigs, but they don’t have throat-ripping teeth… And how much light has to be shone to convincingly illuminate what actually is back there in the shadows, stalking closer?

“Dance, dance, dance!
    Dancing, music, laughter!
    That is the Gypsy way
    No matter what comes after…”

Minor key, with a dying fall to a sob.

27. rhbee says:

We Have Come To Be Danced…

Not the pretty dance
    Not the pretty pretty, pick me, pick me dance
    But the claw our way back into the belly
    … Of the sacred, sensual animal dance
    The unhinged, unplugged, cat is out of its box dance
    The holding the precious moment in the palms
    of our hands and feet dance.

We have come to be danced
    Not the jiffy booby, shake your booty for him dance
    But the wring the sadness from our skin dance
    The blow the chip off our shoulder dance.
    The slap the apology from our posture dance.

We have come to be danced
    Not the monkey see, monkey do dance
    One two dance like you
    One two three, dance like me dance
    But the grave robber, tomb stalker
    Tearing scabs and scars open dance
    The rub the rhythm raw against our soul dance.

We have come to be danced
    Not the nice, invisible, self-conscious shuffle
    But the matted hair flying, voodoo mama shaman shaking ancient bones dance
    The strip us from our casings, return our wings
    sharpen our claws and tongues dance
    The shed dead cells and slip into the luminous skin of love dance.

We have come to be danced
    Not the hold our breath and wallow in the shallow end of the floor dance
    but the meeting of the trinity: the body, breath and beat dance
    The shout hallelujah from the top of our thighs dance
    The mother may I? Yes you may take ten giant leaps dance
    The olly olly oxen free free free dance
    The everyone can come to our heaven dance.

We have come to be danced
    Where the kingdoms collide
    In the cathedral of flesh
    To burn back into the light
    To unravel, to play, to fly, to pray
    To root in skin sanctuary
    We have come to be danced! We have come.”
    Jewel Mathieson This Dance: A Poultice

28. len says:

Kings and principalities vie and collide in the murky deep. Tragic and endless. I find meaning and wealth in making my children’s lives as good as strength, opportunity and grace enable. Past that, I cannot command the tides. I can on occasion turn them. So I ask for wisdom. Let power be a river I may cross or ride but not a gulf that consumes the rider. While my breath becomes mist on the rose in the cold morning air, I shall not despair for beauty greets open eyes and and the open hand.

29. len says:

Give it some thought. The Silly Valley stars of today are the Dion and the Belmonts of an earlier time: commercially successful but ultimately meaningless. We are still waiting for the Bob Dylan and The Band of technologists.

30. len says:

As a friend mentioned, the only thing getting funded is “bits on the wire” projects, information for nothing, chicks for fee.

What if Apple, Google, Microsoft and Oracle agreed to host a design site for solving the common but emerging challenges? Say a site with practical rules that don’t require the engineers to be martyrs *unpaid workers” where all the rewards are scooped up like a ball toss in a game of jacks. Say rules such as you are allowed to submit IP-encumbered tech and if it wins it can be monetized for say 20 years but by binding contract, it has to be released to public domain regardless of standards status.

Then have challenges such as a design for an affordable family community home design that can withstand repeated assaults of 150 mph winds, have locally generated power, lightly coupled community systems and wherever possible, created from locally generated materials.

If the new masters want respect, it’s time to really think of a future that benefits all. Another fuzzy cat video or fart app we don’t need. Bits on the wire can model and warn but it cannot stop an EF5 and it’s time to admit that regardless of climate change being proven, all the proof we need that we need a new mindset for home construction and community sheltering is blistering the homeland as I type. Wise up.

31. Hugo St. Victor says:

…so anyway, amidst the Summer Festival of all us apologists, the Host sez we’ve got 83 days to go before Fall Housecleaning

32. Hugo St. Victor says:

Well done, rhbee

33. Hola! I’ve been reading your weblog for a long time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from New Caney Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up the fantastic job!