Outlaw Blues

As you can see to the right, I have a new book out which I hope you will enjoy. It’s kind of a personal narrative of the counter-culture and its role in American society in the last century. Obviously much of it deals with my adventures in the music and movie trades from 1965-1995. A quote from the preface may give you a little insight into my thoughts.

But the artistic explosion of the 1960’s didn’t just get delivered from the heavens by aliens—it was the work of men and women who understood that they were part of an American tradition of “counter-culture”. Bob Dylan was no more a rebel than Henry David Thoreau, Mark Twain, Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday or Orson Welles. But as the political establishment of America moved right, it served the culture warrior’s purpose to paint the artists that made American music and film the envy of the world as dangerous desperadoes. And in a sense they were. I call this movement The American Vanguard, using the English term for the French “Avant-Garde”. The spiritual godfather of the movement Henry David Thoreau wrote, “It is not so desirable to cultivate a respect for the law so much as for the right.” To which Bob Dylan replied, “To live outside the law, you must be honest.”

You need to read it on an I Pad, because it has more than 100 embedded videos of the artists. Enjoy

This entry was posted in Books, Entertainment and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Outlaw Blues

1. Amber in Albuquerque says:

Ahem, yes, but can I read it on an android-based tablet?

I think so

3. Amber in Albuquerque says:

Well lemme get outta this office and I’ll see if I can’t git ‘er downloaded this afternoon. :)

Between your USC work and this it makes sense why there was no time for blogging.

Congrats on getting it done and out there. Intellectual birthing must result in a mix of emotions. You’ll have to share a bit once the dust settles.

It does look to be iTunes only Amber so getting it to an android based system will be problematic.

5. Amber in Albuquerque says:

Dude, have you forgotten me? I’ve pretty much been here for the whole party.

I’ve got iTunes on a netbook, which “they” say is a relic…but I like it because it has an almost full size keyboard (for when I need to talk back to the internet).

No question you can download it, but there’s no way I know of to run ibook on an android in order to read it. I looked for an alternative, but didn’t see any so assume it’s being published straight to the Apple bookstore and as near as I know, there isn’t any reader on android that can read apple’s DRM.

7. Amber in Albuquerque says:

No, but I can probably launch & read it right from iTunes on the netbook.

It’s an ePub file. You can read the text with the free adobe ePub reader. You just can’t see the videos except on a tablet or I Phone.

9. Amber in Albuquerque says:

Excellent. Thanks, Jon.

10. Adam says:

I’d really love to read your book Mr. Taplin, but I’m afraid I don’t have any of the technology required to buy a copy. Is there any chance that a simple text only version or print copy will be released?

11. Adam says:

Mr. Taplin – I purchased your book on Itunes, but thanks to Apple, I cannot (nor will not) be able to read a thing from it due to the fact that digital books purchased on Itunes have DRM protection, preventing it from being read on anything at all other than an Ipad or similar device.

I’m very disappointed. I’m happy to support you by purchasing your book, but I am left unable to even read a single word of it.

12. len says:

Welcome to the Great Wall of Apple, Adam.

Adam- Get the free Adobe E Pub reader and you can read the text, but not see the videos.

14. Adam says:

Mr. Taplin – I downloaded Adobe Digital Editions for free, but after searching online I found out the books purchased in Itunes can not be read on anything other than an Ipad or similar device (with Ibooks installed). Some free .epub files can be read on a PC or a Mac computer, but .epub files purchased in Itunes can not be opened in anything other than Ibooks for the Ipad. I opened the “Outlaw Blues” .epub in Adobe Digital Editions, but everything was blank due to the DRM protection.

15. j.bin says:

I love being stymied by proprietary lockouts.

16. Adam says:

Is there any way I could get another file with the book’s text in it, if I provided proof of my purchase? Just a shot in the dark. I really want to read the book.

I’m REALLY enjoying it.

More later when I’m done.

18. len says:

Tonight the greatest outlaw folk singer in the world is some anonymous kid singing in Liberty Park to keep up the spirits of the kids around him. Whoever that is, God bless you. Kowabunga, kid.

19. ken says:

I have to buy an iPad, really?