Fire The Advance Man

If Sarah Palin was on a Jihad to get her ex-brother law Trooper Michael Wooten fired, my guess is that the Republican advance man who came up with the brilliant idea of the hockey puck drop at a Philidelphia Flyers game tonight is next on the hit list.

It’s hard to blame Sarah Palin for her booing on the ice in Philadelphia this evening. It’s almost a truism of politics that if you send a pol to a sporting event, he’s going to get booed. Politicians, as a class, aren’t all that popular, and it’s what sports fans do. According to legend, Eagles fans once booed Santa Claus. Still, not a great moment.

The Times hockey blog says the boos were “resounding.” The Wilmington paper says it was an “avalanche.”

This entry was posted in Games, Journalism, Politics, Sports, Television, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Fire The Advance Man

1. pond says:

Wow. This is not just a question of appearing at a sporting event, I think. The Republican candidates, ever since G W Bush, have been very careful to stage all their rallies and political appearances. Only the faithful are allowed in, lest there be one single attendee who disagrees with the candidate.

In the British Guardian paper, they put up a profile of ‘Sarah Palin the Chameleon’ and presented her as someone who just wants to be liked and popular — she seems to have no greater political agenda than that. She does have strongly-held beliefs, but as Mayor, then as Governor, most agree, she did nothing to promote those beliefs.

She must have been hurt to the quick to emerge from the staged rallies and encounter a real cross-section of the public. You’re right: she will be head-hunting after that.

And yet, it can only be good for a leader to learn what people really think. What all the people think, not just her own fans. Otherwise the leader lives inside a bubble, as President Bush has done for so long, and is unaware of the state of the body he presumes to lead.

2. pond says:

When I heard that she was going to do that, I immediately thought that she’d get booed; then I thought that, clearly, the campaign imagined that she wouldn’t, since it was a hockey game.

Wake up, guys.

Wake up, guys.

5. dragonmage06 says:

I know they’re pushing the folksy aspect of Palin, but this might be pushing it a little too far.

6. dragonmage06 says:

7. zak says:

I feel bad for her children getting dragged around on the campaign trail. Kids are pretty good at picking up the nonverbal cues, but this campaign season is offering some pretty overt ones too.

8. zak says: