The Right Freaks Out

Andy McCarthy, one of the smart guys on the National Review Corner.

We have a disaster here — which is what you should expect when you delegate a non-conservative to make the conservative (nay, the American) case.  We can parse it eight ways to Sunday, but I think the commentary is missing the big picture.

Here’s what Obama needed to do tonight:  Convince the country that he was an utterly safe, conventional, centrist politician who may have leftward leanings but will do the right thing when the crunch comes…With due respect, I think tonight was a disaster for our side.  I’m dumbfounded that no one else seems to think so.  Obama did everything he needed to do, McCain did nothing he needed to do.  What am I missing?

This entry was posted in Barack Obama, Business, Defense Policy, Interregnum, Journalism, Politics and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to The Right Freaks Out

1. Scott says:

The “American case”? What a bizarre perspective.

2. Terry says:

Fuck yeah!

(Sorry, had to do it).

I just passed by a college repub. viewing party. The silence was golden.

The lid’s on tight–time to put the nails to the coffin.

3. fdeblauwe says:

As is my custom by now, I’ve analyzed the words used by the speakers in the latest US presidential debate. I provide a bubble graph visualizing length of words, sentences and speech. I also investigated a gut feeling that there was something odd about the distribution of thanks between the different players (bar chart). Finally, improved “word couds” for every speaker (this time including all meaningful words). See and read about it at my Word Face-Off blog.

Yeah I caught that “American case” too.

What passes for political conservatism today, in my view, is 1) cut taxes and 2) deregulate. Without analysis, without planning, without contingencies, without thought. Cut taxes and deregulate first, and ask questions later.

Lip service about fiscal responsibility, reducing the size of government, and putting a focus back on personal responsibility remains, but it gets fainter and fainter against the drumbeat of lower taxes and no regulations.

If this is one of the smart guys, he has some getting in touch with his fellow citizens to do.

What I’ve heard from the ideological people on the right in the past few weeks has been 1) this whole credit crunch is because you liberals forced helpless mortgage companies to give McMansions to inferiors and 2) the only way to fix it is to cut taxes; or more specifically, since they call for a suspension of capital gains taxes, to more or less eliminate taxes on the very wealthy.

It’s this cracked ideology that needs to be re-examined.

I’d like to point a finger at the outrageous inflation of credit card debt over the past 30 years as being a factor, too. And with CC debt, if you fall behind, you’re not looking at relatively benign ARM-style rate increases; you’re looking at what used to be called usury. How many WallMart moms and Joe SixPacks have run the Visa up to the max and now are just treading water paying hundreds of bucks a month in interest and dimes on principal?

6. pond says:

What amazed me about McCarthy’s analysis was his advice to Senator McCain — what McCarthy thought Senator McCain ought to be pointing out.

Not the economy. Not the war. Not the environment. Not energy. Not Senator McCain’s own personal experience or judgment.

No, McCarthy thought Senator McCain should have been calling Senator Obama a terrorist, a man who delights in the idea of bombing the Pentagon.

Thank God Senator McCain did not take any such advice!

If this is what one of the ‘smartest’ conservatives thinks is the way to manage and win a political campaign in one of the toughest times America has faced in 60 years, then I suspect it isn’t the McCain campaign that’s toast — American conservatism is.

And that’s the sense I get from looking at opinion pieces and news stories from around the country and the world. It really does feel as though we are entering a sea-change very much like the one that brought Ronald Reagan to the White House, and has dominated American politics and policies ever since.

There’s a new day coming, it seems. And guys like McCarthy sound a bit like French Aristocrats in 1789, grumbling and screaming, ‘Why didn’t you set the dogs on the rabble, and make an end of them?’

pond, I don’t think it’s “conservatism” that’s at risk, as I hinted at in another thread. It’s the rancid, extremely narrow, we’re-patriotic-bipartisan-country-first-heroes-so-do-as-we-say-or-else faux conservatism that’s on the wane. The conservatism that is focused almost entirely on serving the corporate world, with some lip service paid to social issues and some ever-fainter lip service to fiscal responsibility.

But it’s really about Dick Cheney, Halliburton, ExxonMobil, Chevron, Detroit, telecoms, agribusiness, finance/insurance and pharmaceuticals.

I suspect, or I hope, that at least a solid majority of the country is at last waking up to that and, at least for a while, won’t translate “tax cuts for working American heroes!” into “let’s hand a gazillion dollars to our campaign contributors and write laws that retroactively declare our obvious crimes to be legal.”

Eventually–I hope–the new generation of Jack Kemps will come forward, people who will talk without sneering, people who will legislate without dictating, people who will say what they mean and mean what they say.

Because fiscal responsibility sure would come in handy about now.

8. The right is freaking out for good reason. I woke up this morning thinking I wouldn’t vote for McCain after all.

Listen – if you want to criticize McCain’s policies, let me be first in line. But don’t mistake why they are being criticized. It’s not because they aren’t enough like Obama’s, it’s because they are virtually indistinguishable from Obama’s position in many cases.

How many times did Obama say, “I agree with Senator McCain?” Too many for my comfort.

9. Er. Whatever. Part of my comment made no sense.

What I’m trying to get at is that McCain and Obama are similar. Big government all the way, they just slice it up in different places. I suffered under the illusion McCain was slightly less big government, but after his “we’ll get banks to reduce the principle payments on mortgages” riff I nearly died.

10. VeryBadMan says:

Ms. Thomas

There are MANY good (and obvious) reasons to vote for Obama. I can’t think of a single good (or non ideological) reason to vote for McCain.

And are they not more dissimilar than they are similar? If you look at the obvious?