Threat of Martial Law?

Two weeks ago I wrote about how the 3rd Infantry was preparing to serve in the U.S., in contravention of the Posse Comitatus Act. Yesterday, Congressman Brad Sherman says several Congressman were told that if the Rescue Bill didn’t pass, martial law was inevitable. WTF?

This entry was posted in California, Economics, Journalism, Politics, Recession, Wall Street and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Threat of Martial Law?

1. commonsguy says:

It sure would be nice if one the of Representatives who were apparently told this would back up Rep. Sherman’s statement and name names. Who, exactly, was saying there would be martial law?

2. JT says:

That would be telling, commonsnguy.

I’m not sounding so paranoid these days, am I?

I still doubt that there will be an election. We may be in the final days of what we think of as the United States. Although honestly, what I always thought of as the United States has already begun to disappear. Even our “savior” Obama voted for the police state and gives an alarming amount of lip service to “faith-based” government.

Dick Cheney would be happy–possibly even orgasmic–to see tanks rumbling through American cities and heavily-armed troops on every street corner. That’s his vision of law and order.

9/11 popped up out of a trap door at the start of this regime like a Christmas present for ol’ Vice President Strangelove, and the credit meltdown has popped up at the end of it.

Incidentally I am now officially jobless thanks to this mess.

4. JeffW says:

Over the last few months, I, too, have been wondering if
    those who say we’re headed toward martial law aren’t right.
    The first thing that caught my eye was an article I saw on
    the Indianapolis Star (that’s since been removed from that
    paper’s web site, but can still be found in the
    http://www.dailynewscaster.com link). Then a friend sent me the
    http://www.army.mil link to the document laying out how civilian
    prisoners could be used on military bases for military
    projects. And, now, this http://www.armytimes.com article
    which Jon has cited. For your reading pleasure I’ve also
    included in the list below a link to another article
    discussing the FBI/DHS connection to the Indianapolis
    exercise and Amy Goodman’s take on these actions.

A fairly decent discussion related to the first link above,
    including a link to the KBR web site article discussing the
    awarding of the contract for building prison infrastructure,
    which could be construed to be that discussed in the DoD
    document, can be found at:

Based on my own admittedly rather limited reading of
    history and just plain gut instinct, I’ve maintained
    on numerous occasions in conversations with some of my
    friends that the ever-growing disparities we are seeing
    in the distribution of wealth, among other things, would
    result in strife on the streets – armed insurrection,
    possibly. I’ve always thought it a far-off-in-the-future
    possibility, but one within my lifetime for sure. The
    numbers of folks living on the edge of survival, paycheck-
    to-paycheck, has been growing over the years and I have
    been wondering what a collapse of the economy (now read
    as the “financial and banking system”) might do to push
    them over the edge. Not that I have been any sort of
    seer into the future on the collapse we’ve been watching,
    but with all of the crazy credit stuff of the last few
    years, I often wondered what ulterior motive was behind
    it – whether or not it was part of a last-ditch attempt
    to stave off further disenfranchisement by making the
    “American Dream” more available than it probably should
    have been. That this availability was made possible
    through instruments and practices far riskier than had
    been available in the past indicates the degree of the
    gamble that was being made, in retrospect. The steps
    toward martial law over the last few years, I think,
    could be construed as an admission at some level in the
    federal government that the gamble could be lost. That
    some of the preparatory exercises and deployments are
    actually happening could be evidence that the gamble is
    close to being lost.

What to do? The adage “Hope for the best, prepare for
    the worst.” comes to mind.

Enough of doom and gloom for today. The meadowlarks have
    been passing through Devils Lake again on their way south,
    so it’s time to be happy that Fall is still around.

Agreed, Jeff. They’re gone now, but for the past two weekends I had countless flycatchers singing their hearts out in my back yard. Last weekend there were vast (as in, Hitchcockian) flocks of starlings. I regularly hear the piercing cries of the two red-tailed hawks who nest across the road. And the finches are of course ever-present. Doves, blackbirds, jays, catbirds, and crows round out the list. Along with the honking geese.

But we don’t get meadowlarks. I’d like that.

6. MS says:

I am not nearly as pessimistic as Dan.

I posted this discussion as a diary at dailykos.com, where it generated 150 votes (46% said it shows how far the Repubs might go in desparation); and an exchange about how possible/likely a martial takeover might be.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/10/4/165841/491/238/620150 (I didn’t refer traffic to this site — just pointed to the source documents — because I wasn’t sure if you’d prefer to have kossaks thronging here, Jon.)

The Army Times did post a correction to its original story:

“A non-lethal crowd control package fielded to 1st Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, described in the original version of this story, is intended for use on deployments to the war zone, not in the U.S., as previously stated.”

7. Peter says:

Hey Dan, sorry to hear about your job loss. What do you do?

Oh geez guys, you really are showing signs of PTSD due to the trauma of the last 8+ years; hyper vigilance being the predominant symptom.

Two things argue against it:

1. Thanks to the gun nuts, America is armed, and the current split in America would result in another civil war, (Red v. Blue this time) which would keep Bush and Chaney’s International Cabal Masters from being able to make a profit.

2. People in concentration camps don’t pay taxes, which would keep Bush and Chaney’s International Cabal Masters from being able to make a profit.

9. MaudeAvidity says:

Hey I’ve got a question.
    It is unquestionable that we are all in a scary situation. Martial Law is most likely to occur before the next election and our civil liberties and basic happiness will be challenged very aggressively by our “leaders” in the not so distant future.
    My question is this:
    Why do fascist/dictators become fascist/dictators? I just can’t wrap my head around it. Why did Hitler grab for so much power, why did King Henry the third want power for evil, why Ceaser, and why is Bush so eager to turn America into a police state? What is the motivation? Is it just a power trip, is it money? It just doesn’t make sense to me. Someone please explain.

10. len bullard says:

Maude:

This is one theory based on sociopathy:

from a few years ago based on Linda Mealy’s research cited in that blog.

This is a good time to be cooling heads and planning. That they plan for it shouldn’t make us *too* paranoid. They plan for everything from food riots to bozos in spaceships landing and trying to turn us all into clown zombies.

Frequency dependent sociopathy is one of the reasons I counsel both sides to be leary of using intimidation tactics. It feeds the fringe bozos who then inflate their shoes and go looking for other clowns to honk their noses at.