Ralph Stanley for Barack Obama

From our touring correspondent, T-Bone Burnett comes Ralph Stanley’s radio ad for Barack. Very cool.

This entry was posted in Advertising, Barack Obama, Entertainment, Innovation, Music, Politics and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Ralph Stanley for Barack Obama

That is fantastic. Good on Ralph.

2. Jim says:

Mr. Stanley’s ad is the finest and most direct testimonial I have heard in this campaign. In fact, it had the same restorative effect on my emotions as his music has for many years. This sound bite (and many of the other clips I have been able to view through this forum) give hope that internet blogs can do more than provide outlets for thoughtless rote rantings from the rush right. Thank you for bringing it to our attention, it was a wonderful start to my day.

3. sean says:

I love Ralph’s voice. May have to pull out some Stanley Brothers vinyl today.

Goodness, I had no idea he was that cool! No idea. That cool?

Frankly I wonder whether most of my fellow Americans even would understand the implications here, would understand the sheer caloric degree of Cool we’re dealing with. In fact, Jon, I’d like to offer a brief Point of Information to any of your the readers who might be missing the significance of this development, this emergence in an historic presidential contest of this particular celebrity endorsement.

DEAR READER: You of course may be familiar with (in which case probably quite fond of) this man famous for his talent and achievement, his decency and unique charisma. Yet you may not have known how very deeply down-home cool the man really is. Indeed, few people heretofore have had the benefit of what you now have: complete and incontrovertible assurance of coolness. That’s right: the Blessed Assurance.

Let me explain. This is a defining moment. This is Andrew Jackson putting out the whiskey call to any and all thirsty persons willing to stop in at the Executive Mansion.

This is Lincoln welcoming ambassadors to that place in his stocking feet. It may even be Adlai disclosing his burnt-out shoe leather. Whatever the case, there is no question but that this moment is Theodore the Bullchest playing in his wee Quinnikin’s command post on the White House roof. This much already is known.

But in the greater sense this development is more even than that. It is nothing less than Hoover in Belgium and Nixon in China and Jackie in Paris, all rolled into one. It would not surprise this particular observer were posterity to mark this moment as the natural sequel to President Kennedy’s Oval Office reception of the Nobelists. It is that cool.

For ours is that moment in which Barack Obama became certifiably cool. Certifiably and openly, and for all time. If ever there’d been the the mosted winged doubt as to Barack’s apparent coolness, now there can be no question of it. The cat is cool. The deed is done. Ralph Stanley, Ralph Stanley himself, has testified.

I’d remind you all that senatorial and presidential incumbencies may come and may go. But being cool, in the coolest place on God’s swingin spinnin 2-Ball, that — well that is forever.

Go now, and be cool likewise.

I’ve told this one before here, and it seems Jon was at this same event: Newport Folk Festival, 1965, after hours party in one of the “summer cottages”…a virtual castle with dozens of rooms and a commanding view of Narragansett Bay. I’m in a room listening to Lightning Hopkins, and in come Bill Monroe and his new guitar player, Peter Rowan. Monroe spots Hopkins and grabs Peter and drags him over to listen. “This is the blue in Bluegrass, son…”

Hugo-Brilliant. It is an Andy Jackson moment!

7. Adam says:

So there are no misunderstandings, Peter Rowan is still alive

Jon, I’ll tell you about keeping Peter out of the army in 1964 over dinner some evening…

9. Faith Foster says:

Barack Obama is the best democrat president in my opinion. he makes the best judgment and foreign policies.. –