1 Million Terrorists

You will be happy to hear that Homeland Security’s terrorist watch list will hit 1 Million names tomorrow.

Barry Steinhardt, director of the ACLU’s Technology and Liberty Program, spoke today along with two victims of the watch list: Jim Robinson, former assistant attorney general for the Civil Division who flies frequently and is often delayed for hours despite possessing a governmental security clearance and Akif Rahman, an American citizen who has been detained and interrogated extensively at the U.S.-Canada border when traveling for business.

I feel safer already.

This entry was posted in Censorship, Defense Policy, Iraq War, Politics, Surveillance, Terrorism, Travel and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to 1 Million Terrorists

1. Brian says:

At the rate they’re going, we’ll all be on the list before long. After all, the essence of ‘terror’ is to create lists of people to be liquidated. Such a benign term, sounds like something Billy Mays would hawk.

“And if you act now, we’ll include the DHS Liquidator List at no extra charge! Have a rude neighbor? Use the Liquidator List and your nights will be quiet. Have a creepy boss? Use the Liquidator List and show your loyalty where it really counts, up against the wall. Call within the next 10 minutes and we’ll include your very own FISA approved monitoring device for only three easy payments of $15.99 and don’t worry about defaulting on the amount owed, there’s plenty more from the Federal Reverse. Remember everyone, the terrorist living next door could be you, rat them out first with the DHS Liquidator List. Call now.”

2. Brian says:

3. Brian says:

In case anyone’s interested, I turned this comment into a longer post.

4. Brian says:

In case anyone’s interested, I turned this comment into a longer post.

…and here we have the second area where we can talk about comparisons to fascism. The suspicion net that is cast as widely as possible. Under the “better safe than sorry” philosophy.

If there comes a time when the government starts energetically pushing people to inform on their neighbors so that they can be added to the list, then we’ll be in Stage 2.

Now, throw in the coming vote fraud to mirror what they did in 2000 and 2004 and a picture begins to emerge.

7. John Feeney says:

And the list keeps growing with no end in site. I have to question whether the ACLU is even doing anything beside representing people an promoting their cause.

Why not just put the number at say 3 million. With a by line – Alpena, Mich, Dolton, GA and Eagle Crest AZ have their entire population listed. It might even be more accurate than the phone book.

8. John Feeney says:

9. BobbyG says:

I am currently going through the (heavily redacted) Terrorist Watch List report, and will add some thoughts about it on my privacy blog post in progress, wherein I have some stuff about these mendacious programs such as TIA, CAPPS II, TALON, and ADVISE. etc.

The CAPPS thing was particularly poignant and charming. They wasted a hundred million on that bozo idea. As I wrote:

“Not too many years ago I walked into an Office Depot store near my house, showed them my Nevada driver’s license and answered a couple of basic questions. The clerk then entered this information into a terminal, and I was “green-lighted” in about 30 seconds for about $3,000 worth of PC hardware and software on “0% interest for 18 months” credit. I promptly loaded up my new toys into a shopping cart and took them home.

CAPPS II was to employ a similar “methodology” as an E-Z Terrorist Risk Air Traveler ID system. They wasted approximately $100 million on this baby before throwing in the towel.”

Morons.

10. BobbyG says:

Morons.

11. Enrique says:

It’s great to see rational responses from all the folks. I’m afraid to go to states and the reason is that I’m a muslim. I’m nano tech researcher by profession. I was given a job in states with a salary that I had never even dreamed of but I opted to go for it. I accepted a less competent offer by a Canadian company.

I hold no grudges against US or I don’t have any agendas but simply the fear that I’ll be categorized as a terrorist or even spied on because of my religion is kind of scary.

And I’m a modern muslim by all standards like I drink or I go out and party but still the whole “terrorist” subject is blown out of proportion by the republicans.

12. Enrique says:

13. John Feeney says:

Enrique: don’t let the mindless muse of a chosen few reflect the happenings of some.

I was told yesterday, this Red-neck, Gun Carrying, Conservative blue-eyed, Red hair Irish Republican was on the list – hell we’re going to O’hare International Airport this afternoon just to have fun in this 90 degree heat with $9.00 hr TSA officers. Maybe if they spied on me someone would replace the Government Trailer I bought from New Orleans

14. John Feeney says:

15. Terry McCall says:

America!

____ Yeah!

Freedom is the only way!
    . : .
    TSA’s security theatre just saps the life out of my trust in our government. At least we can buy our freedom (while selling our <a href=”http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/08/orlando_airport.html“>souls).

Perhaps “saps” isn’t the word I’m looking for…

16. Terry McCall says:

America!

____ Yeah!

Freedom is the only way!
    . : .

Perhaps “saps” isn’t the word I’m looking for…