McBush-Four More Years

The McCain campaign went on the record this week in endorsing the extra-constitutional powers the Bush Administration has asserted over our civil liberties. McBush is a reality

A top adviser to Senator John McCain says Mr. McCain believes that President Bush’s program of wiretapping without warrants was lawful, a position that appears to bring him into closer alignment with the sweeping theories of executive authority pushed by the Bush administration legal team.

On a day when the Senate Intelligence Committee released it’s final report on the lead up to the Iraq War, the need to change the Unitary Executive concept dreamed up by Dick Cheney was more evident that ever.

The 170-page report accuses Mr. Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and other top officials of repeatedly overstating the Iraqi threat in the emotional aftermath of the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. Its findings were endorsed by all eight committee Democrats and two Republicans, Senators Olympia J. Snowe of Maine and Chuck Hagel of Nebraska.

Not only can this new concept of the Imperial Presidency ignore the laws on wiretaps, create it’s own intelligence group (Doug Feith’s Office of Special Plans) to massage intelligence to fit their war marketing plans, but potentially could sign an unprecedented Status of Forces agreement with Iraq that could commit us for years.

McCain will market himself as a candidate of change, but on the things that really matter, he’s just Four More Years-McBush.

0 Responses to McBush-Four More Years

“Office of Special Plans”

Anybody talking about fascism should be disturbed by that name.

Anybody opposed to putting moronic self-serving hacks into positions of power should be disturbed by the fact that Feith headed it.

The big question, for me, is whether Obama as president will undo the damage done by Cheney and his sock puppet, or whether he’ll start singing a different tune once he’s sworn in.

I honestly don’t know.

I’m sure McCain will keep the fledgling monarchy intact.

That’s quite enough, sir! I cannot in all conscience conceal from you the fact that I have reported to the highest authorities your illicit and inveterate traffic in the most blatant political obscenity. You’ve been Lemon-tested, sir, and found sour. In fairness incommensurate with your reputation I will issue this demand, but once: Take Down that Photograph!

Because should you refuse to do so, I can assure you that by this time next week you’ll be ringing up every friendly anarchist you’ve ever dissed, and I don’t know about Morgan but I intend to be floating on the Hurricane Coast, pretending to hunt for smelly trash-fish, and I just may have forgotten the longsuffering iPhone. Capiche?

Keep my card on you, is what I’m saying. My people and your people, and all that. We know how these things are handled.

Take down the photo. Even my dog has gone on the lam over that thing. And my dog has been around the block a few times, if you take my meaning.

The damage your dog has done to the credibility of the Oval Office with his canine carnality is incalculable.

But that’s noting compared to the damage done by your dog’s dishonest simpering look of innocence, tail tucked between his legs, big soulful eyes, while Fifi carries his shame for all to see.

But your other dog’s arrogant presumption to the title of Cock of the Walk is intolerable, sir! Even my vicious trained attack Doberman thinks so as he savages the only copy of the local village code.

Woof woof!

Coco. Not Fifi. She’s Coco, poor thing.

That is one handsome man!

6. Patrick Freeman says:

Just who’s dog is that a photo of? Or, since I was an English major, back when that was a real language: Just of who’s dog is that a photo? Or maybe not.

Hugo- I’m glad you are such a lover of photo-shop artistry. Blending George with John does make him it little less frail and aged. Perhaps they should use this as the official campaign portrait.

8. P. Cross says:

You guys crack me up.

Pretty soon “W” will be smoozing with Papa and Billary, an X pres. thing you know and Ol’ Dick will be back In WYO staring up at the the Grand and Mt. Moran while the rest of us will have to deal with a same old crap or do you really think things will change.

Just what are BO’s intentions? How does he intend to pay for all this “Change”????

The MoneySource . There is only one, You, you are it, the focus, the whole enchilada,
    The target, ground zero, the prey, we the sheep that are about to be shorn, some more, again, present ourselves to you and assume the position.

Intellectual as well as personal and business property. Authors are you willing to have your intellectual property looted as well as your bank accounts, retirement plans, homes and business’s to pay for Governmental services? You think it can’t happen? It’s happening right now as I put finger to keyboard.

If the “people” go after excessive profits, who decides at what level of income excessive begins? People don’t seem to understand the difference between profit and profit margins, after tax income, pre-tax and after tax expenditures? If you spend $1.00 after taxes, how much tax did you pay to have the $1.00 to spend if you are in the 33% bracket???????

“Businesses pay income taxes, fees, regulatory costs, tariffs, etc”, a myth based in ignorance brought to you by the Greed Grinders. If businesses did pay taxes there would be no imbedded taxes in everything we buy.

I have feeling we are going to hear about income taxes on “Imputed Income”, again, the democrats brought it up in the 90’s and the Cino’s managed to kill it. Hugo, sorry I should have asked.

If you get up and begin every day having to produce something that is marketable just to survive and the “People” are telling us that we will be allowed to keep only what the “People” decide is fair. I think I know where they are coming from. Sure doesn’t seem to bother them when the “People” hold a gun to my head to pay for it.

I know the war, Dick Cheney, etc, etc, etc,Yada Yada Yada

It’s a very public outrage, Jon. You truly are the Larry Flint of whatever you call this racket that the foundations and your University have got you up to of late. (Which hideous split-informative [sic] should occupy our friendly local English major for a fine spell…)

I highly resent the comparison to the smut peddler. If I put John McCain naked on the site, you might have cause to make that comparison. Until then, sir, please refrain from such a noxious metaphor. :)

They refuse to even answer. They are weaker men, obviously furious they are not better. Behind every claim of someone seeking to help the downtrodden, is someone trying to scramble up the ladder without actually having the ability to make a good, or provide a service – behind every such claim – is a cheat.

12. zak says:

it would be a better campaign portrait than they use on the site. . . I realize its highly unlikely McCain will be bleaching his teach for aesthetics, but it’s really gross to see his smile in pics — those are the yellowest teeth I’ve ever seen; any graphic designer should be able to clean up McCain photos on his campaign site.

(Random, possibly entertaining, side note) In the third grade, my class participated in a mock election for the Bush-Dukakis run. I was convinced by my best friend to vote Bush because Dukakis had a funny nose. Those yellow teeth are going to lose McCain the kiddie vote nationwide. . .)

13. P. Cross says:

The answer will come when it happens and there will be such and outcry,”we didn’t mean us”, they will surely let our people go.

14. P. Cross says:

They would also have to open that dusty file where Honesty, Self examination, Responsibility and Character reside with a link to to the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

15. Another Jon says:

What is that buzzing sound?

16. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

Incredibly noble.

(Jon, can you provide some patriotic music, some heroic music to score these P. Cross posts? To emphasize the Truth, Justice, and the American Way of it all. Thanks in advance.)

AJ, that’s a chain saw. So is this:

JH, don’t feel threatened, you gave up your manhood long ago. :)

18. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

That was inspired. Who writes this stuff for you?

19. P. Cross says:

Another Jon,

Somebody is thinking. Looking for the file, getting and error message maybe.

Do I hear something dripping

Nice chain saw

20. P. Cross says:

I think you might as well end the search its buried to deep.

This is prater is obviously much easier than an answer to what “BO’s intentions are”

21. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

PC ross My guess is that you do.

Yup Hugo, definitely not K. P. Cross. You might want to pick up the sword you dropped at [it’s] feet several posts ago.

TWS: You know the old Heinleiin quote, “Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” There must a variation that applies here….

Ken, I am not wasting my time. JH might be annoyed, but mark my words, that sumbitch is gonna SING!!!

Meanwhile in today’s headlines, oil prices rocket higher, causing the Dow to tank. And Israel comes pretty close to guaranteeing that they will attack Iran.

I gotta go dig my grave, I mean bomb shelter.

Dan, I think you reversed that. Because of the no more inflation thing from the FED, money came out of the stock market, and went into oil futures.

It’ll all work out just fine. You don’t have to build a bomb shelter, just forget any new social programs. That’s not so bad is it?

Hugo- Will you tell these youngsters to shut up. They are embarrassing and diluting what ever geopolitical and cultural arguments you make.

P. Cross-I remember under Eisenhower my very rich uncle (another story) was taxed at 70%, you diphead. And because millionaires were willing to carry their weight we went and rebuilt America (heard of the Interstate Highway System?)– and the rest of the world (through the Marshall Plan) and averted a catastrophe called “the slump” that had been plaguing America deeply since 1929, but actually since the 1860’s as our professor from Georgia will attest. I actually think that after we get out of Iraq and really rethink our national security stance, we might not need to tax much higher than today. You’d just have to cut out all those hedge fund and off shore account dodges and restore the old estate Tax as Bill Gates and Warren Buffett understand.
    And as i’ve said many times before a $1 per gallon gas tax phased in over 2 years and with some offset in payroll taxes for those earning under $35,000 a year.
    Morgan- I’ve been in the Texas heat of San Antonio for two days and it’s making me cranky. The sad thing is back in the days of George Gilder and other harmless intellectuals of the right, you guys actually had an optimistic message for the world. Its so sad to see you holding on to a corpse called neoconservatism, and screaming angrily to the rest of us trying to clean up your mess–“No More Money”

You misunderstand how the world needs our economic, moral, cultural leadership more than it needs our latest Joint Strike Fighter ar $380 million a piece “fully loaded.” They will be more than happy to finance our debt, once we stop acting like the bully cop of the world.

You know I once compared this blog to a good dinner party. Coming home from a long road trip P.Cross and Morgan strike me both like the guests who are potted and are going from pretentious to obnoxious.

Lets try to do better.

Well I can attest to it , Proseesor Taplin of the sun-baked pate. On my reading I’d say it’s even possible that Czar Galbraith and Ickes the Good taxed your Uncle Warbucks at a rate in excess of 80 percent. Only the fattest of the pluto’s were able to get the Brain Rust to let up anytime soon, after Nagasaki. The feddies were like hoary crusty snapping turtles from the London School, so For the Masses Born were those pompous klepto prigs.

See, PC? History need NOT be dull after all! It just needs more cranked-up rhetoric, and all of a sudden it’s Must-See TV, until “Jackass” comes on. Look, PC, you may very well be right, but Jon is indisputably right—not least in insisting that you not bother to manufacture outrage. You want outrage? We’ll you tales that will make you lose last Wednesday’s lunch.

So what now? Our host is challenging you and Morgan to come up with a positive, constructive, motivating vision, and I, for one, think you ought to take him up on it. The positive combatants always have the edge over the embattled defenses. It’s first-year material in the academies. Call your Vision Thing whatever you want—call it the Greater East Asian Blogosphere, for all I care—but name, and defend.

(And send smelling salts to TWS.)

Now I don’t exactly share your politics and Morgan’s, but I reckon if I have to pull trench duty it might as well be with a libertarian. So I’m gonna throw a line out to you, in all earnestness.

Jon says expresses his patriotic conviction that we can get the job well and truly done without appreciably higher taxes. I’m with him on that all the way. And here’s the cool part: we can do so much better, even, than that!

Sometimes I wonder about my dear Yanks: who do we think we’re NOT?

Look Jon, I’m here for the long haul, and I’m absolutely certain that as the election nears, you might grow more touchy, more touchy, more touchy – and that’s the FUN part, it’s only when you freak out do I know I’m doing my job.

You are the left wing of Obama’s supporters, I meanwhile have one foot in McCain and toe in Obama, and it isn’t about me moving, it is about him moving.

The thing you have to be comfortable with, is he IS moving – and you should be using this opportunity to support the move.

I’m going to keep saying this, but there is a TON Obama or McCain can get done without spending more money. If you want to not buy as many jets, then say “we should buy x% less jets, that will equal x savings,” and I’ll say OK, I support that!

It is your amorphous rah-rah that I find annoying, because this hear change is all going to be incremental and realistic – so stick to the particulars, because the policy details are all I and anyone else paying attention cares about.

Morgan- Thank-you. Obama knows the power of bottom up over top down–why do you think he won?

P.C. If you wouldn’t just come and come out of this community you would know, that I already answered your question of what Obama stands for (in a quick version)?

30. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

“It is your amorphous rah-rah that I find annoying, because this hear change is all going to be incremental and realistic…” he squeals, while admitting who, exactly, is annoyed around here. It is Señor Rah-Rah himself. Señor Rah Rah, you are forgiven.

You have disappointed me. You seem to have tried to encourage these strange and feeble attempts at wit. That does no one good. It merely prolongs the inevitable. Today, you remind me of Ms. Clinton. (That is a sentence I never thought I would write.) If you really want to help your churlish friends, please do not encourage them in an area in which they have no gift. Seeing someone used as a punching bag is not a pretty sight. I have sworn off. I have achieved apathy in this futile cortège. As for you, I am afraid you have fallen short of Mr. Wilde’s maxim, “ A true friend stabs you in the front.”

Well Tennessee, you DID stab me with that. And you twisted, too. And I don’t really deserve it. I was just trying, in my own most weird-circuitous way, to answer Jon’s call to tell PC and his fellow traveller to put up or shut up.

In my own Absenthe-tainted imagination, I was being rather gracious about it, while amusing the remaining crowd to boot. And don’t you wag Wilde on me, man; Chesterton ate him for breakfast, every morning for many years, and even you—YOU!—are a better and more amusing aphorist.

Now what, exactly, did I do to betray our host?

32. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

For starters, Chesterton was a mighty man.
    He batted GB Shaw around like a paddle ball.

You did nothing to betray our host. You handled all of that rather well. Perhaps I misunderstood your smelling salts deal. If so, I am deeply contrite.

I withdraw the blade. And as a peace offering I give you this verse from Willie Mabon.

I got me a blade
    One I can afford
    Too long to be a knife
    And too short to be a sword.

(Sword is pronounced, saword, with the w non silent.)

Please save some absinthe for me. I think I need it.

That’s a beautiful little pericope, actually, Tennessee. Maybe there isn’t enough time to demonstrate our People’s mindblowing gift for transforming the cutting thing into the lovely thing. But then, maybe there is.

The smelling salts, I meant in acknowledgement of your having called on me earlier, teasingly, to dial down the dialogue, whereas in that present instance I was doing the opposite. That’s all. It was badly put, I’m sure.

But don’t you agree that on Planet Saturn or Planet Claire or Planet Paraguay they must be rolling with laughter at how we preposterously affluent, resourceful Peeps insist on sqeaking about how much it now costs to ante onto the big table, as against how much it used to cost and how much it ought to cost, etc., simply to answer the really pretty basic call just to look after one another, the least, first?

I’m abashed, man. I am. Something tells me zak’s going to come in here in a minute and slap
    us all upside.

Oh, yeah, and also, I wasn’t confusing my Wilde with my Bearded Leprechaun; chronology is one of the only things that hasn’t yet got the better of me. I meant it in a purely literary, and not in a biographical way. I expect you understand.

Gilbert Chesterton’s work simply made Wilde’s more serious musings assinine, much as Kierkegaard’s work aborted Nietzsche’s writings well before Nietzsche had even outgrown his Nietzcherbockers.

35. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

I misunderstood. That is something, perhaps the only thing, at which I am expert. More expert than I would like. My most sincere apologies.

I do agree with my whole heart with your exemplum regarding our observers from other planets. There is too little faith. Too much fear. Too much self.

All that I wrote in the post above, the words that stabbed you, although I wrote from a place of the possibility or fear of some kind of persecution which I could not understand, I nevertheless wrote with great fondness and without any sort of anger. But you are right, you did not deserve to be hurt in any way.

(I really am, however, appalled by the vulgarity of the failure of wit by some of our correspondents. Let’s do look after one another. All of us. Let’s do, as you so succinctly phrased it, put up or shut up.

You are a great cat, Hugo.

I think I understood you to write that you will vote for Obama. If so, you have my undying gratitude, which you have anyway. And respect, which you also already have. (That, I suppose, is why I took an imagined slight so to heart.) At any rate, to vote for Obama is to do the smart and good thing. He may be a punk, and the perfect liar, and all else you have written, but he is God’s man, of that I am absolutely certain, and I believe he will dragged along to do what love requires, and the world will be better. Perhaps incrementally better, but better nevertheless.

36. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

I got that Chesterton/Wilde thing. The Kierkegaard/Nietzsche analogy is a great thing to see.

One of the most enlightening books I have ever read is Orthodoxy. Have you read that? One doesn’t need to know what to think if he knows how to think. Chesterton knew *how* to think.

37. P. Cross says:

Sadly due to time constraints I do miss much of what’s said but alas I must plow the fields, bale the hay and short order cook as well. This morning I had to fix a leak, it dripped all night. Apparently I had more than enough to drink and slept soundly.

Every one seems to be making up today, did I miss something?

If I could maybe be wrong? Then would that make Jon indisputably wrong? Of course then Jon would say that I’m only half right, but that would be something.

38. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

The Dagger

A dagger rests in a drawer.

It was forged in Toledo at the end of the last century. Luis Melian Lafinur gave it to my father, who brought it from Uruguay. Evaristo Carriego once held it in his hand.

Whoever lays eyes on it has to pick up the dagger and toy with it, as if he had always been looking out for it. The hand is quick to grab the waiting hilt, and the powerful obeying blade slides in and out of the sheath with a click. This is not what the dagger wants.

It is more than a structure of metal: men conceived it and shaped it with a single end in mind. The dagger that last night knifed a man in Tacuarembo and the daggers that rained on Caesar are in some eternal way the same dagger. The dagger wants to kill, it wants to shed sudden blood.

In a drawer of my writing table, among draft pages and old letters, the dagger dreams over and over its simple tiger’s dream. On wielding it the hand comes alive because the metal comes alive, sensing itself, each time handled, in touch with the killer for whom it was forged.

At times I am sorry for it. Such power and singlemindedness, so impassive or innocent its pride, and the years slip by, unheeding.

Jorge Luis Borges

Yes, I have read it. I did read it, I mean, in my dissolute years, so probably on your mention I should read it again. It gave me a kind of crush on Catholicism—sort of like my present jealousy of K.T. Tunstall’s handsome boyfriend, but let’s let that go—and I didn’t understand for some years how really witty it is. (If indeed I understand now.) Chesterton wasn’t falling for the fey notion that children, or others, need be taught “how to think”. You couldn’t make that particular serpent eat his own tail like that, no matter how you maneuvered.

And another thing about that kindly big lummox; something about him I’ve been thinking about a lot lately. He loved children quite unabashedly and elementally, as though they alone were of his species. He carried little favours in his pockets every day on the chance that he might meet a child willing to play with that giant man on the floor or the ground wherever they might find themselves. Isn’t that breathtaking, now, in two-thousand ought-eight in the U.S. of A.?

I mean, the man was so decent that today we’d put him on a watchlist.

And in historiographical time, that was only this morning.

Meanwhile, we seek to elect just the damnedest critters to our highest offices.

You’re right, TN. Time for a reboot.

40. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

Dear PCross

Here are the things you missed:

You missed being polite.
    You missed being kind.
    You missed being funny.

Please try to work those things into you act. If you do, you will be polite, kind, and funny. That doesn’t sound so bad does it?

41. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

There is that incredible passage about Cowper when he says something like,

Logic is the natural enemy of poetry. The poet merely wants to get his head into the heavens. The logician wants to get the heavens into his head. And it is his head that cracks.

And that’s just it in a nutshell (forgive me), isn’t it? He could’ve taken on Pope or, in our time, the humorously vain biologists of Harvard, but that was a gentle, clear way of putting it and Cowper could take it and Gil was a mensch for choosing his battles so tastefully. You nailed him.

Years ago the late Brazilian liberationist Paolo Freire was going on about something he kept calling, in his tinny Portuguee accent, something like “the dialecticity of patience and impatience”, and by, like, the third rendering of this bizarre Pinko phrase I found myself fighting really hard to suppress a horribly rude outbreak of laughter. (If I could do an impression of it, you’d understand how incredibly absurd it sounded; somewhat like Sellars as Strangelove, riffing on Teller.) Anyway, I never forgot that strange grammatical construction, just because of my memorable near-embarrassment and because of the teacher’s absurdly intense earnestness concerning it.

And, as the worm turned, I believe I came to understand why he wanted so badly to impart whatever idea he thought he’d trapped therein, and now I even fancy that I understand what he meant. I was callow then. Now, just callous. I believe he was referring to an Augustinian dialectic—which is of course to say a Thomistic one—and not to the Dialectic According to Karl.

He meant the two, complimentary but also conflicting, civic duties. To love them as persons, but to remember also to love people—through them. To bear that scary-beautiful burden of balance, the one with the other.

The “fascism” that worries Dan here—that’s precisely the ultimate perversion of this balance, as best I can see. And Jonah missed it, and Jon senses it, perhaps just because he’s Jon.

…and if anyone happens to be tuned in, Tennessee knows that I was referring to the misanthropic Alexander Pope, and not to the Roman Pontiff. If I offended, then No, not.

Hugo, you should spend more time at donkey shows in Vegas. It is there, and places like it, you can cleanse your memory of phrases like, “the dialecticity of patience and impatience.”

And Tennessee, maybe he shouldn’t have been such an absolutist about it. He overlooked Blake, for example. Which just goes to show yet again: there’s bad-mad and there’s good-mad.

Me, I’ll take Blake.

46. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

I’ll let you take that tiny, little broadside, Hugh. He is crying out for your help. Seriously. I hope you can help him. Underneath all that bumptiousness, there is a scared kid.

I’m going to go read some Blake. Always a good idea.

Vegas? Surely they cannot have gone quite that far!

Why, in my day, one would have to go to Nogales to take in such sublime dramaturgy. But surely those days are gone. And Carmelita also. And Pepe. And his diminutive sidekick, Pepe.

I am therefore forced to conclude, sir, that far from referring to any party as elevated as Los Dos Pepes or to any of the other celebrated inamorati of the late, beloved Cactus Flower of Sonora, you are instead alluding to “dog & pony shows”—that low expression that wafts from the more fragrant realms of public affairs.

All right, TN. All right. We’re even then.

I’ll do my homework too.

Hey look! I discovered how to strike Morgan speechless!

No sir rooney, I meant the prior. Tho you are right, Vegas ain’t much longer going to remind me of Snake and Jakes (which is still going strong). Btw, I once knew a gal, the dramaturg at Yale, I don’t thnk she ever herself added the Y.

I was just trying to help cleanse the mind if the Cachaca wasn’t helping.

I remember that rotgut from my drinking days. Greenest rum I ever had. Yeeackh! Reminds me of my resolutions 12/31/89: seek 1st the Kingdom of Heaven; never stand in front of the tanks; never drink Mescal.

That’s when I turned 18. I wish someone told me 2 of those.

53. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

Good work, Hugh. The subject is still tripping over his own feet, but he got close to a half a sentence out that time. Still off the charts square, but I think whatever you are doing is beginning to work. With a great deal of luck, we might end up with an identity. Now there is some science for you, comrade.

It’s like watching a dog talk.

55. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

Something you probably see with a great deal of regularity.

Good dog!

“There is too little faith. Too much fear. Too much self.”

That’s quite good, Tennessee. To my ears, it rings of Patchen. Compliments.

“Let all our cities fly a clean flag!”

Don’t give this kind of stuff to Barack, though, or the GOP will go Whigward fast.

58. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

Mr. Obama must also heed Mr. McCain’s directive that he visit Iraq — as long as he avoids Baghdad markets and hits other foreign capitals on route. When the world gets a firsthand look at the new America Mr. Obama offers as an alternative to Mr. McCain’s truculent stay-the-course, the public pandemonium may make J.F.K.’s “Ich bin ein Berliner” visit to the Berlin Wall look like a warm-up act.

Frank Rich

I love it when you cats are jammin. I just sit back and drink my whiskey and wait for the next riff.