Crumbling Republican Coalitions

Two dependable Republican voting blocs are starting to desert the sinking ship. Evangelicals are beginning to embrace progressive stances on stewardship in both the environment and poverty reduction.

They say they are tired of the culture wars. They say they do not want the test of their faith to be the fight against gay rights. They say they want to broaden the traditional evangelical anti-abortion agenda to include care for the poor, the environment, immigrants and people with H.I.V., according to experts on younger evangelicals and the young people themselves.

And down in Miami the young Cubans are coming out for Obama’s stance on opening up travel to Cuba.

On May 23, Senator Barack Obama of Illinois, who brought his campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination here, received a swell of cheers when he told a gathering of Cuban exiles here that he would immediately allow “unlimited family travel and remittances to the island.”

The Democrats are essentially testing the theory that Miami politics have changed. Voters will ultimately decide — and local hard-liners show few signs of insecurity — but at the very least, the debate over travel has sparked what many here describe as the liveliest, most open debate about Cuba that Miami has seen in decades.

Boy, If the Republicans can’t rely on evangelicals or anti-Castro Cubans, who is left?

This entry was posted in Barack Obama, Politics and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Crumbling Republican Coalitions

1. pond says:

My mother, a 70+ lifelong republican who considers Obama and Clinton ‘outright socialists,’ is not voting for McCain. She is no evangelical, just a deeply fearful conservative.

Her vote, she says, will go to Bob Barr, the Republican candidate for the Libertarian Party.

2. Patrick Freeman says:

The two groups you mention may well be deserting the Republican cause, for reasons both practical and ethical. But there are plenty of other groups eager to take their places. For instance, the military historian, and supposed intellectual, Edward Luttwak, has been rebuked by the NY Times’ Public Editor for his erroneous and idiotic claim that Obama, born of a Muslim father, is forever a Muslim in the eyes of the Muslim world, and, having “converted” to Christianity, is now apostate and subject to a death sentence under Islamic law. The Public Editor did what Luttwak, and the Op-Ed Page editor did not, and that is consult eminent Muslim scholars on the point. We can expect much more of these attacks on Obama from what passes for intellectuals on the right, as McCain’s shortcomings become ever more apparent. Luttwak’s column, like many before and many yet to come, will try to disguise their racism and hostility toward Islam with big words and scholarly posing. I would not be surprised, in the least, to see McCain’s surrogates lapsing into overt racist epithets in the desperate, closing hours of a losing campaign.

Among the NYT’s many Abercrombisms are the seasonal field ethnographies on the recently discovered Protestant tribe reported, customarily, as though by a first-year primitivist from Columbia University. So we get a single data point, the Journey church community of St. Louis, on which to hang dissociated bits of data and opinion that transform it into a congregation “representative” of a national trend; a brew pub becomes a “bar”, the better to catch “Southern Baptists” watering there; evangelicals become interchangeable with Baptists; “born-again Christians” have yet to discover the duty to help the poor; etc.

The Journey churches in St. Louis are not Baptist churches. While all Baptists are, after the Baptist himself, evangelicals; evangelicals are not Baptists any more than Jews are Hassidim. And the preference of young Christians for the dynamic “Social Gospel” over their elders’ more contemplative emphasis on the Doctrine of Sin and the Depravity of Mankind, does not a trend-story make, unless readers have the patience for a trend that’s centuries old. (The two teachings are in conflict because the resort to “ethics” is precisely the substance of the Edenic curse: the burden of decision between Good and Evil.)

The Times has spent a good amount of its patented smug-ink in recent months touting survey results showing that self-identified Christians are leaving evangelical churches in growing numbers, but the paper will never figure out why that is happening. Even if it sends a stringer down to the Museum of Natural History.

I say good riddance to social conservatives, because I’d love to see Republican party rebuilt in Bob Barr and Ron Paul’s image except BOTH of them are pro-life. It is maddening.

I harbor some hope that in the next decade that social liberals will split off with fiscal conservatives as “minority” groups start worrying about keeping more of their new found wealth.

5. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

That will never happen if fiscal conservatives are as obnoxious as the Voice of the People here at the Jon Taplin Web Log.

Worrying about keeping new found wealth does sounds like freedom. It sounds like affluenza. At the very least, it is not something a man of worth would pursue as a goal or even a hope.

Nothing makes people conservative so much as having something to conserve.

“…it is not something a man of worth would pursue as a goal or even a hope.”

No, indeed.

If only the conservatives were trying to conserve something more than their “right” to drive Hummers and be profligate with the Earth’s resources…

Rick, who do you think uses more private jet travel? Conservatives or liberals? Do you really think one group wants to use more of the earth’s resources (buy more stuff)? Really?

Morgan- Stop using these ad hoc anecdotal examples like “Liberals use more private jet travel”. You are just pulling this out of you ass and its embarrassing.

11. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

Oh, sorry. The sentence should have read,

Worrying about keeping new found wealth does *not* sounds like freedom.

I would prefer in all my speech to avoid sarcasm.

12. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

Worrying about keeping new found wealth does not sound like freedom.

It sounds like affluenza.

This is my final answer.

Carry on.

13. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

“Nothing makes people conservative so much as having something to conserve.”

I hold this sort of high-pitched sophistry in the opposite of esteem. First, it assumes there is some virtue in simply being conservative, and second, it completely misses the point that there is at every moment everything to conserve.

There are many times in life when being conservative is exactly the wrong thing to do.

Odd—isn’t it?—how people of the Right go about trying to conserve the values of our Founding radicals…

On the other hand, that exuberant day on which I successfully proposed marriage was most assuredly not one of those “times in life when being conservative is exactly the wrong thing to do.”

15. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

People of the Left as well. They do the same damned thing. It is also odd how people of the Right go about destroying the values of our Founding radicals.

To everything there is a season, old boy.

Except, perhaps, marriage. That comes under a whole nother category than everything.

But then I’m just a humble 12th Century friar. What would I know about any of it?

17. Ben K says:

Obama wont win Florida anyways, so even if your young Cuban voters theory is correct, which I am skeptical it is, it wont matter.

Jon, you are becoming laughable. Had a bad day? I said nothing like, “Liberals use more private jet travel.”

You really are seeing boogie men in the shadows. Be more exacting. Please.

JH, it is very hard to take your seriously, but I do try – you on the other hand seem to skip the same common decency. The point, since you missed it, is that once one is receiving from the government less than one gives, it is “easier” to be a conservative – this isn’t really arguable is it?

Morgan, any reasonable reading of your post would turn up a conclusion like Jon’s. And this is exactly one of my points to you…you are doing a really shitty job of expressing your views. You now seem to be saying, “Don’t read what I write, read what I think.” Sorry, Morgan, maybe we’re missing inflection; maybe we’re missing irony; but if so, then it’s time to learn to better express yourself. What many of us read from you isn’t very sensible and it sure isn’t pretty. I don’t want to live in your world view. It seems a harsh and heartless place.

20. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

The Market has never hurt anyone.

The Market’s constant aim is to spread sweetness and light.

The Market loves you.

21. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

For the record:

I do not take The Voice of the People seriously.

The spirit with which he writes is noxious.

He is full of himself. He awkwardly and transparently tries to bait people. And he is rude.

He has a couple of specious speculations that he repeats over and over endlessly saying the same things without ceasing, until he becomes a drone.

He is a poor put upon and misunderstood martyr type.

And yet he is arrogant talking down to people he does not even know, trying to convince them that he has special knowledge. If only they would listen …

He is not a man to be taken seriously.

22. Another Jon says:

I will take this seriosly. Because it is about the role of goverment in our lives.

“The point, since you missed it, is that once one is receiving from the government less than one gives, it is “easier” to be a conservative – this isn’t really arguable is it?”

I for one, feel I am getting some real good bang for my buck over there in EYE-rack. We’s killin some terrorists and securing some oil at the same time! I am happy with my investment. Makes me a conservative all-righty. 10BIL/month? PSHAW! I need to feel safe and I am receiving safety (economic safety AND safety from evil-doers) in spades. Maybe we can teach the Iraqis the meaning of $MAX at the same time! In no time we will turn them into conservatives. They get it man…..

23. Zhirem says:

Mad$MAX – The Rude Warrior in…

Beyond the Echos of Blunderdome…

Where libertarian chicks have gams like Tina Turner…

(I am running out of ellipses…)

– Zhirem

24. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

Tough it would seem to take a simpleton make and to actually believe the statement you quoted above, I stand corrected. I will take it exactly that seriously. The rest of his flow, less and less and less.

(I am one of those who is receiving from the government less than he gives. By $LARGE!)

25. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

Correction (Damn iPhone)

Though it would seem to take a simpleton to make and to actually believe the statement you quoted above, I stand corrected. I will take it exactly that seriously. The rest of his flow, less and less and less.

And again, I asked Rick a real question, in direct response to what he wrote, and all this other crap has been wasted since…

“Do you really think one group wants to use more of the earth’s resources (buy more stuff)?”

Why anyone read too much into that, I have no idea.

27. Tennessee William Shakespeare says:

“I have no idea.”

Finally, a statement with some veracity, some fiber, from the great Voice of the People.

28. Voice of the People says:

I like “Voice of the People.”

Feels right.

29. oneiroi says:

I’m thankful for this.

Republicans for a while got along under the appearance of homogeneity, but this administration has really shown the cracks in the party. Which was why the Republican race was so divisive in the beginning, each candidate represented a different part of the party.

The only thing that’s disturbing to me now, is the division in the Democratic party, which for once isn’t so much about differing stances in policy…but on people’s petty anger for the primary race.

Let me give you something substantive to chew on instead of this mooning nonsense.

31. Pingback: Did Obama Win The Drudge Primary? « Jon Taplin’s Blog

Morgan, I’ve decided to not respond directly to any of your questions and to follow my own advice: “Don’t feed the troll.”