Huckabee's VP Hopes Get Flushed

Three days ago he was in the running for McCain’s VP slot. No more.

This entry was posted in Barack Obama, Journalism, Politics, Television and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Huckabee's VP Hopes Get Flushed

1. rhb says:

Jon, I don’t like his christianinsanity but I do like that fact that he is speaking honestly about something that is true. Self government needs less government. Honest self government that holds the value of others as valuable as itself needs less government. Unfortunately for him he can’t value the ideas of others, can’t see that he and Barack are a lot closer than they are apart. You are right, I guess, McCain could not handle such straight talk.

2. michaelswindell says:

Why no longer in the running? The flippant Obama comment?

3. Ed says:

His ‘joke’ that Obama hit the floor after a gunshot is not only racist, but stupid, hateful, ignorant and frankly should warrant some type of penalty if he weren’t protected by the first amendment. (If that’s not how he intended his joke to sound than he is stupid too.) I had respect for Huckabee before this, that is now long gone, along with his political career. Sad really.

4. Roberto says:

Huckabee is a class-act . And, yes, he made an error-he’s human and therefore, not perfect. You can’t name one candidate (or public figure for that matter) that has never made an inappropriate comment that was later regretted. Huckabee didn’t hesitate to apologize; not days or weeks later, but that very day. He was on the Geraldo show tonight and reiterated the same. There have been many statements made by many politicians and public figures that have been far more controversial than this, so why not accept the apology, stop the saber rattling and finger-pointing and get on with the issues at hand. If you visit Huckabee’s website, HUCK PAC, you’ll find the majority of his followers are even MORE fervently supportive of this man and that includes blacks AND white folks! Even those visitors that favor Obama are very quick to point out that although they don’t agree with all of Huckabee’s views, they feel he is honest and sincere and should be given some slack.

5. Kurt says:

1st, We need to be regulated, that’s why we have a strong “federal” system of government not a “confederations” type government. If want to live where there is a weak central government and a lot of guns in the hands of the citizens try Iraq! This is the the old saw that the public can be trusted to rule themselves — the founding fathers knew better and made us a restricted Republic not a democracy. True democracies lead to mob rule! You can’t trust the majority to tolerate the minority without restrictions on their power. It’s called a Bill of Rights. Hucklebee is like a lot of people who don’t understand the history of the founding of this country. The second amendment was put into place to protect the state against mob rule by handing the right to bear arms to the “well regulated militia. the second clause is subjective tot he first clause in this amendment.

6. alex says:

I’m completely baffled. I’ve watched this video and can’t see anything else than some humor.

Maybe it’s because I live in the South, but I just see this as typical Southern humor. Racist? Please, what nonsense! Obama’s the front-runner, and is known (by his own statements) as fiercely anti-gun. It’s akin to a Bush joke at the Sierra Club. The NRA views Obama (rightly) as someone who is completely against their agenda.

On the other hand, I heard Obama’s statement about bitterness and guns and I really did find it highly offensive. I had previously actually thought of shifting my allegiance to Obama, but that really pissed me off. So maybe it’s tit-for-tat.

Incidentally, I am a Life Member of the NRA, but I am certainly not a) pro-war, b) pro-Bush, and c) against the environment, etc., etc. I think my party, the Republican party, is intellectually bankrupt, having violated a vast swath of conservative principles during the Bush administration. It’s a joke.

Then again, any hopes of the Democrats doing anything vaguely different were pretty much dashed over the past year, as they have succumbed to Bush themselves. It’s baffling.

Alex- I was not commenting on Mike Huckabee’s character. I was just making the point that in post-You tube politics, you don’t get to make these mistakes. Ask John Warner. Huckabee knows he screwed up, but its too late.

As to Obama’s bitterness remarks, if you read them in context, he was basically saying that the lower middle class in this country has gotten screwed, and all they got for their trouble was a damn T-Shirt with some slogan on it–“stop killing babies”, “Leave my guns alone . And from that slogan they elected guys like Bush and Cheney who didn’t give a damn about their religion or their guns.

Mike Huckabee actually said some of this on the campaign trail, when he broke with Bush on the war. Now he’s just trying to suck up to McCain, Bush and Karl Rove–with stupid jokes like he made on Obama, in the vain hope that he’ll be VP.

8. Ed says:

Call me crazy, but I don’t think it’s funny when anybody jokes about ANY president or presidential candidate being involved in a shooting incident, Huckabee might of been referring to Obama’s anti-gun stance, but he should of taken into context he was talking about a presidential candidate and gunfire. That’s just not funny. How can you think it is? honestly….

9. Zhirem says:

methinks the Huckster wants to get his joke in before Obama is the President and such humor will land one a quick and intensive visit from Secret Service representatives…

– Zhirem

10. STS says:

I’ll have to admit I watched the video without really getting the point either. I may have cringed slightly at the Obama joke, but any racist overtones kinda got lost on me. Maybe that’s because Huck is capable of genuine humor and there is an underlying gentleness in his voice as he makes wise cracks.

Another explanation might be the fact that Huck had the best response of any of the candidates (save Obama himself) to the kerfuffle over Rev. Wright and his “jeremiad”. Huck’s deft articulation of empathy for African American anger and frustration left me with a reserve of good will that carried me past the stupidity of the joke in this video.

Seems to me Huck’s VP chances have more to do with the electoral coalition McCain will need than this particular macaca moment.

11. Roberto says:

STS: I agree with you on this! Anyone that knows Mike Huckabee, knows he has some empathy for the plight of the blacks…and let us not forget that he has a huge following from the black population that is often overlooked. Just because Obama is black doesn’t mean every black in America if for this guy…it ain’t so! Also, if you access any v.p. polls, Mike Huckabee is ahead of the pack! The difference between Mike and the others is that he was very successful at his first run at campaigning both in states won plus he didn’t spend alot of money to do that-his campaign actually came out in the black by approximately $30,000, if I remember correctly. Mike has been more visible over the past month to give his opinion of which he is getting the respect he should have at the very beginning…because what he says makes sense, especially to us “little guys” . a His charismatic personality and sense of humor are very refreshing!

12. Christine says:

The story only lasted for a day or two, then went away. I don’t think it hurt his chances at all. He is STILL winning all the VP polls.