Drugs and Video Games

A while back I posted about the possibility of amphetamine use in Iraq. Last night, watching the Lakers victory, there was a commercial for a new video war game called Haze. Here is the ad copy.

They gave me the best weapons. Then they gave me Necter. It made me feel invincable. But for every high, there is a low. Now I’m fighting back.

According to the game mags, you are hooked up to an IV (necter administrator) in your combat suit that allows you to inject yourself with “necter”, which gives you a boost of super-energy. However, if you use too much of it, you crash and get out of control.

As the poets say, “Art imitating life”.

This entry was posted in Advertising, Entertainment, Games, Technology and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Drugs and Video Games

from anthony:

“My Question would be, Have any of you served in Iraq? I have, and I can tell you that the “the medics were handing out so much speed (”go pills”) that you could hear teeth grinding from outside the Bradley Fighting Vehicles.” quote is just plain ludicrous. Drugs of any sort are VERY TIGHTLY CONTROLLED, so much so that to get a couple of Motrin (an over the counter medicine) you have to see 2 Medics and an actual Doctor before they give you any. Please. That quote, and the “statistics” that accompany your rants, have no resemblance to truth.”

It would seem video games just make shit up, and since you like to denigrate the war, you propagate any crap you can.

From what a vet told me it probably depends a lot on the unit you are with. Anthony’s experience could be totally valid, and someone else could report a totally different level of access. The military is different now than it was in Nam, in it’s lack of tolerance for drug and alcohol use (due to the impact on muslims especially). They now have a requirement for random drug checks, but that also depends on the unit’s leadership how diligently it is enforced according to the Vet I talked with. It clearly is more difficult, and the Marines especially have a different culture in regard to use. However, guard units not so much.

Again, hard to generalize from one person’s report, but this person’s take made sense to me.

4. JR says:

Yeah, come on Jon!

This war is NOT Hell, just another example of false advertising.

And I’m surprised more people aren’t signing up to serve. Maybe we should institute a draft so more and different people can experience the “thrill.”

Tell the real story. Let the people decide. It’d be great to have a draft. Let everything be considered by the voters – including the need for oil.

6. themicrocosm says:

That video game seems like a massive rip-off regardless of the drugs. Can anybody say Halo meets Necter. Sounds lame. Everybody’s playing GTA IV anyway so who cares.