Now The Republicans May Be Scared

Gallup Tracking Poll

Both Hillary and McCain have taken their best shots at Obama in the last three days and he gained two points on Clinton in the latest Gallup Tracking Poll. His response to both of their attacks this afternoon was very strong. Of course it doesn’t help the Clinton’s that Bill said virtually the same words as Obama many years ago. Barack is such a disciplined candidate that my sense is that the McCain folks will begin to worry in a few weeks when he’s able to take McCain on without worrying about Hillary. My favorite part is Barack’s riff on Hillary’s new found love for guns.

“She is running around talking about how this is an insult to sportsmen, how she values the Second Amendment. She’s talking like she’s Annie Oakley,” Obama said, invoking the famed female sharpshooter immortalized in the musical “Annie Get Your Gun.”

He continued: “Hillary Clinton is out there like she’s on the duck blind every Sunday. She’s packing a six-shooter. Come on, she knows better. That’s some politics being played by Hillary Clinton.”

This entry was posted in Barack Obama, Journalism, Politics and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Now The Republicans May Be Scared

It’d be so much better for Obama if he would just go ahead and win PA.

Why he hasn’t been able to close the deal yet?

2. bolsonon says:

I am continually amazed by candidates like Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton who dwell on what is wrong with America and rarely offer a viewpoint on what is right with America. Do they really hope to become president by bemoaning how miserable life is in this country and will remain until they can bring 100% government control to the situation? Apparently they do.

Whether old Democrat ideals or new Democrat ideals the underlying message is always the same: MISERY of the people, by the people, and especially for the people. No thanks!

3. unastronaut. says:

They won’t be scared, they’ll be sticking their fingers in their ears. I’d say that is essentially pointing at nothingness.

4. The irony is that the above question was the precisely the one he was trying to answer when all this cynical twisting of words blew up.

5. Mark says:

He can’t close the deal in PA because it’s so conservative.

Philly and Pittsburgh are largely liberal, but the rest of the state – the T – is extremely conservative (also religious, gun loving, unemployed blue collar…). It’s just like Boston and the rest of Massachusetts.

I have doubts that Obama can win in PA. He’s making huge inroads, but there just isn’t enough time for him to met and change the minds of everyone in the T zone. (And let me qualify that statement by saying that I’m an Obama Man)

bolsonon- I think Obama is running a very optimistic campaign. Given all the mud, the Clintons are slinging at him, he has still managed to appeal to our higherr angels and see that we can rebuild this country if we all pull together.

Mark- If Obama gets close in PA and then wins North Carolina and Indiana, I think the pressure on the Clintons to quit will be too great. I’ve said before, this will all be over by June 1.

bolsonon – “When will the Democrat party learn that the American public by and large want a president who wants to lift up America and not tear it down?”

That is exactly what you are looking at in the reaction of young people to Obama . They’ve seen through the smoke and mirrors of the Republican message of “Ignore the man behind the curtain…” and it’s corollary, “be afraid, be very very afraid!!”. People are ready to move on to something more optimistic. Right now America has major things wrong with it for the majority of it’s citizens, and the spin machine that says it is “unpatriotic” to question that is no longer going to intimidate folks as well as it used to.

Chaney Republicans and their “You’re with us or you’re the enemy.”, which your message of “Say only good things, or else I wont listen to you.” is a clear derivative of, are ultimately going to take their place in history next to Joe McCarthy.

Uber patriotism, and the fear mongering necessary to sustain it are not optimistic or hopeful messages. So I think you are spot on in your assertion that Americans do want an executive branch that will stop tearing America apart. Ignoring what is so v. v. wrong in this country isn’t going to lead to the change that the majority clearly want (see various happy-with-the-direction?? polls for confirmation that this is what a clear majority are wanting.)

9. zak says:

Right now Rasmussen Reports finds McCain beating both Obama and Clinton in a general election.

If almost 80% of the nation wants a new direction, and McCain mostly parrots continued or enhanced Bush policy, how is a McCain win looking remotely possible?

I’m starting to think I’m going to be disappointed all over again this fall.

Don’t worry Zak, even if Obama wins, you are going to be disappointed.

But atleast the Iraq war is going better.

Zak-McCain is running unopposed right now because Hillary is still in the fight with Obama. Once the Dem fight is over, McCain will be taken down to size.

Morgan- Try to contribute something original rather than being such a parrot. I know you are trying to irritate me–and you are succeeding.

12. Jason Dragon says:

Yes, no matter who wins I think the majority of us will be disappointed. Half the things that these candidates are promising are things that the president can’t even do. There will be many conditions that will force the next president to do many things that we will not like. The economy, the weak dollar, and the dilution of our power will force the next president in many ways.

13. Captison says:

A little off-topic but…
    @bolsonon (and Morgan, I’ve seen you use it too)

I don’t mind what you have to say about the Democrats or the Democratic party but I find it quite grating when you insist on leaving off the -ic when writing about it. You don’t say “The Republic Party” or “Republic states” and you shouldn’t say, “The Democrat Party.” At least, you shouldn’t say it in mixed company. That’s a well known political epithet and since I enjoy reading the mostly civil debates on this blog I would prefer them without the invective.

14. zak says:

Will there be enough time paint Obama as the better choice overall? If Obama doesn’t win PA out right, Clinton will continue with her “big states matter and Obama can’t close the deal” campaign.

Jason/Morgan — Every Presidental election is picking the lesser/least of 2+ evils. At the very least, Obama brings back citizen civil engagement and transparency, versus the last 8 years of a slow and steay move towards an increasingly fascist-looking regime.

15. Zhirem says:

Captison, you do have an option you realize. Have you considered employing the versatile “Republican American?”

Zak, McSame is going to come across at some point, likely during a debate between the eventual nominees, as the classic and stereotypical cartoon: crazy old man runs out of his house to tell those pesky kids to get off his lawn…

Jason Dragon, I think that the eventual winner will have their hands full for pretty much every day of their first term. Commander Cuckoo Bananas has really done a number with things, and caused (IMHO) generational damage to this country. It will take a little time to un-screw ourselves. I doubt the Senator from Arizona will be able to pull off the joining of disparate America. Barrack might not be able to either. But I know with certainty that Billary won’t be able to get that task done.

– Zhirem

As an aside, I’m 100% totally ok with calling them the republic party, or the GOP, or less goverment guys, or whatever – it wasn’t meant at all as a dig, certainly I respect Dems as much as I do the Repubs.

Jon, I am not trying to irritate you. Find the blogger zen, man, find the zen.

I submitted this to the Educational Testing Service today:

Which word does not belong in the following list:

A) Arsenal

B) Xenophobia

C) Religion

D) Scapegoating

18. Brent says:

I am encouraged by Obama’s response. As much as I appreciate his nuanced political discussions, I have been concerned that he might be unwilling to get in the arena and do the necessary political jujitsu to win in November. I don’t think this is anything so old-fashioned as “going negative” as it is the basis of political competition- give a compelling argument why you are better than them.

Really? I thought he behaved exactly like Hillary and Bill when he came only exigently to address the fallout from his remarks and then took every occasion on which to address them as an opportunity instead to recast and reinvent them. Guns are one thing. And bitterness schmitterness. It’s his nonchallant put-down of religion that’s going to loose him enough states to force a brokered convention and possibly a fracturing of the Party. The Democratic Party I’d sell short to pour the takings into the Green Party, which will capture some of the diaspora. Meanwhile I’d buy carbon indulgences from the House of Gore, to rescue my eternal soul.

His remark was terribly ill-considered, rash, and revelatory of the difference between his rehearsed rhetoric and what he actually thinks.

For one brief second, in other words, he sounded just like George W. Bush. And I agree wholeheartedly that anybody who sounds like George W. Bush is going to have a hard time getting elected.

As far as “carbon indulgences from the House of Gore,” I must confess that your sarcasm is frequently impenetrable to me; I don’t see any context.

“…your sarcasm is frequently impenetrable to me.”

And, I might add, to me as well sometimes, Dan. I was likening Mr. Gore’s profitable trade in carbon emission credits the Church’s notorious trade in Papal indulgences in the 15th Century. (Both promise remission of sin). My half-clever thinking was to remind us of Gore in the context of the Democratic Party’s collision course, and to do so in keeping with the theme of religion, which obviously has become an ill-advised plaything in this campaign.

Besides, I couldn’t resist.

22. John Hurt says:

None of those words belong in that damned list, and you know it.

That’s WONDERFUL, John! (Finally, a laugh that’s not a guilty pleasure. Ahhh. Feel better already.)

Hugo-I think you overestimate the attention span of the electorate. Unlike the 15th Century, information overload forces the sins of omission (like Obama’s poorly chosen words to describe a real truth) out of our brains by the end of a 3 day news cycle. Obama is a Reagan-like “Teflon politician”. My guess is the Dems’s race will be over by June 1.

25. John Hurt says:

“Don’t worry Zak, even if Obama wins, you are going to be disappointed.”

You might try adding a little Dale Carnegie in with all that Ayn Rand.

You just don’t get to talk to Zak like that. Any more of your impertinence, and I will send my girlfriend down there to kick your sorry ass all over Osten, Texious.